The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, and the backyard is… boring. You’ve been wanting to add new landscaping elements to freshen up the yard, but don’t have the time to care for any more plants. What’s a homeowner to do? If this sounds like you, you might benefit from the help of a Walnut Creek landscape design professional.
While we all like to spruce up our own spaces, it can be difficult to assemble ideas and aesthetics into a cohesive yard. Whether you are landscaping for aesthetic reasons, entertainment, or better functionality, a landscape architect can translate your ideas into a reality. Best of all, a landscape designer takes your needs into account – and a beautiful yard without the addition of new greenery is possible with a little creativity.
If your green thumb is worn out from gardening all year, try some of the following tips for landscaping without planting.
- Sit in the shade under a gazebo. Gazebos are a romantic respite from the sun and rain. Adding a bench or table underneath creates the perfect makeshift picnic spot.
- Install a hidden sound system. This audio element makes a backyard a true entertainment space. Install speakers all over the yard hidden under realistic rocks for surround-sound during projector movie nights. Alternatively, a no-fuss speaker in a protected space under a gazebo or pergola allows you to choose the atmosphere. Soft jazz while hosting a nice dinner? 80’s hits while throwing a party? It’s your choice.
- Add structure with a brick retaining wall. A natural brick or stone wall is an excellent way to separate lawn from other planting areas. A short retaining wall provides instant seating accommodations while adding structure and visual lines to the yard.
- Set up a stone pathway. A stone pathway is a great addition to any landscape. It can draw attention to features that you want to highlight or encourage exploration in a particular area of your yard. A stone pathway can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be: flat stones placed directly onto grass or mulch can appear natural and rustic, or a sturdier flagstone pathway can be a robust way to divide a yard.
- Illuminate with strategic or decorative lighting. Outdoor lighting allows you to enjoy your yard well into the night. String lights are a popular option that can cover a large area and add instant ambience. Looking for a low-maintenance option? Place solar lights at the base of a tree to illuminate its foliage.
- Add ambience with a water feature. Who doesn’t love the soft sounds of water gently splashing? Harness the relaxing feeling of sitting lakeside by installing a basin fountain, a stone waterfall, or a decorative mosaic fountain. Choose a feature that is able to recycle water so you don’t need to periodically refill it.
Walnut Creek Landscape Design
A professional landscape architect can help reinvent your yard into a space that you enjoy in every season. If you are looking for a professional to help with your Walnut Creek landscape design, contact Meadowbrook Design today! You can schedule a consultation by clicking here. Our office can be reached at (925) 200-3661.