One of the issues that has been most firmly in our collective conscience over the last few years is environmental sustainability and protection. One of the most important areas in which we can work on this area is in sustainable landscape design. Many Californians have already given up traditional grass lawns in favor of more drought friendly yard designs. Yet there is so much more that we can do to protect the environment while creating beautiful outdoor environments of our own. Here we look at the practice of sustainable landscaping and how it can help you find the most environmentally friendly solution for your garden.
What Is Sustainable Landscaping?
Sustainable landscaping is the practice of incorporating environmental priorities and practices into landscaping design. Sustainable landscaping affects every phase of the landscaping process including design, construction, landscaping coordination, implementation, and management. Sustainable design is one of the most important aspects of sustainable landscaping, which drives the whole landscaping process. Sustainable landscaping design aims to integrate and balance the goals of creating a beautiful outdoor environment while also creating a landscape that fits with its natural setting and protects the surrounding ecosystem.
Focuses Of a Sustainable Landscape
Sustainable landscaping focuses on a few key environmental issues to drive the landscaping developments and design. These issues include –
- Storing carbon (thereby reducing global carbon)
- Reducing and accommodating climate change and fluctuations in temperature
- Not contributing to, or reducing air pollution
- Not contributing to, or reducing water pollution
- Eliminating or reducing toxic pesticides
- Eliminating or reducing use of non-renewable resources
- Reducing energy usage and switching to renewable sources
- Encouraging the cultivation of native plants and eliminating/reducing invasive species
Benefits Of Sustainable Landscape Design
There are a number of significant benefits of sustainable landscaping, both to the property owner/manager, and the environment. Some of the benefits of sustainable landscaping include –
- Lower maintenance costs due to reduced chemical and water use in the landscape.
- Plants and trees thrive and have a better appearance in the landscape as they are suited to the local environment.
- Water pollution and wastage is minimized due to water wise garden techniques, de-compacting soil, and effective irrigation.
- Gardening processes such as composting, recycling, pest management and irrigation are integrated into the landscape design saving time on maintenance.
- The introduction of more native plant varietals increases wildlife habitat and protects local ecosystems.
- Integrating renewable energy systems such as solar powered landscape lighting help to further conserve both financial and environmental resources in landscape design.
- Utilization of storm water run-off and recycled waste water minimizes mains water consumption for the use of the home or business.
- Leaves the soil in better condition through aeration, mulching, water conservation and the propagation of critical soil microbes.
- Healthier environment, and no exposure to potentially toxic chemicals, particularly for the safety of nearby children, pets and wildlife.
Sustainable landscape design can revolutionize your home garden or business campus, producing a more beautiful, thriving outdoor environment for you, and contributing to environmental sustainability. To work on a sustainable landscape design for your space, talk to our professional landscape architects today, to uniquely blend and balance your landscape vision with sustainable design.